Powered By Blogger

Saturday 29 December 2012

Post Christmas..post assessment reply rambling




This is our first day at home which is not followed by a day where one of us will be working....yes, the partner worked both Christmas Day and Boxing Day this year and then we were both back to work on the twenty seventh.

So it feels strange because the beginning of the day was chores, cleaning and food shopping (not much as the house is still stacked with goodies and essentials in case of snow) and now, after lunch, we each struggle to have a purpose. The past few months with his concerts and rehearsals, both our work patterns and family stress and my starting the new course have robbed us of the habit of being able to relax; without thinking of what has to be done next/tomorrow/by this evening.

I open my emails and find the reply from Nina Milton, my Tutor. I feel no concern as with my previous courses and it makes me stop and question myself - is this good? Overconfidence? My partner thinks I am gaining in confidence and because I don't have much of it in my writing it feels like over-confidence. He might be right, or it could be because this was a comparative essay which to me is like thinking on the page, building a viewpoint and argument - and as I am always being told I like a good argument! It's part of my job to examine, judge and then justify my decisions....

As usual, I show bad punctuation eleven times in my essay - I am appaled with myself!

On all my courses the first assignment is the one where the word "slip" is uttered by the Tutor and I am embarrassed.

Nina is always full of good advice and guidance - and patience with my constant questions etc. But there is a new twist with "homework", I nearly laughed outloud when I read that she would be setting me homework...well...because I work from home so essentially all my work is homework!

I have finished reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman which is the second time I have read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a growing up and away book to my mind - the graveyard is "home" to the boy, Nobody Owens. Once the residents of that home have protected, educated and nurtured him - with bumps along the road - and the immediate danger has been dealt with, Bod leaves to fulfil his dreams and have adventures, slowly being unable to see the ghosts of the graveyard. I think it is a brilliant book, written with wit, charm and imagination - perfect for children in that the shocking beginning and the adventures into other realms are deftly dealt with.

I am now reading Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy; another book that takes your hand and drags you into the pages of an adventurous and challenging hidden world.

If this had been homework when I was at school I would have enjoyed it more!



No comments:

Post a Comment