Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 12 March 2013

Websites and insights...





A few days ago I was stuck. Not stuck exactly in the writer-block-thing but more the exercise that the Writing for Children Course had suggested was consuming me and causing me stress. I have experienced this kind of thing before....so I bit the bullet and sent an email to Nina Milton (Tutor and lifesaver). 

As always she told me that I should move on, my email, while rambling (my opinion), demonstrated that I had learned the intended lesson and I needed to forge ahead.The dam burst and I was back reading through the course looking at structure and recognizing plot, plot types and story models easily. The enthusiasm flooded back.

One exercise calls for you to look at interviews with Jacqueline Wilson and Sophie McKenzie talking about how they write - trouble was that the websites listed either had changed or been dropped - no joy. It annoyed me I must confess BUT after a few minutes of frustration I moved to my personal book list read so far and began to surf. I looked up the sites for David Almond, Patrick Ness, Derek Landy and Michelle Paver. 

It is clear that the process of writing and plotting is as varied as the writers themselves - no news there I guess - each one fits the writer and I concluded that finding what fits me might be the hardest part of this chapter. 

Derek Landy – (website/blog entry address – http://dereklandy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/up-for-air.html) writes in his blog how he hammered out the plot to his book in  84,726 words BEFORE he pushes forward with the writing itself. I saw this as his way of building the scaffolding or bones of the story before the flesh is applied (ironic because the book includes a magical skeleton detective!).

David Almond advocates an organic approach - writing, playing with words and day dreaming - he doesn't mention plotting in the way that Landy does. 

And then on the OCA website ( http://oca-student.com/node/66680) I listened to Jacqueline Wilson talking about how she writes; rising in the morning and writing five hundred words (about half to three quarters of an hour) and then she has "written something". In my opinion this is someone who feels the pressure to produce (which we all do) and if you have written a certain amount then you have DONE something.

This I can relate to because when I have written something even if it is meandering and obscure I have little problem with my insomnia - my head hits the pillow and I am gone (if only for a few precious hours of deep sleep).  Then it occurred to me that I already do this in a way that suits me and especially works when ploughing on with the course. My partner rises very early and so goes to bed around half eight in the evening (spending 30 minutes with head in book) - I sit down at my computer at that time and allow myself 30 minutes for emails and catching up with news headlines etc. After 30 minutes has passed I start work - whether it is exercises, re-reading or writing something for the course assignment.

The OCA website videos and the reading of the advice of established authors shows how the process has to fit you as a writer – right from whether you prefer pen and paper first draft, computer second and then edit quickly before sending off to the agent/publisher (like Jacqueline Wilson stated in her video) or you spend over eighty thousand words plotting out your novel before you get the write the story itself. 

Hearing and reading that these authors write in so many different ways is comforting because it makes you feel, as it did with me, that it is a process and all you have to do is keep at it, find your path, because it is there and it fits you.

And if I get nothing done for the rest of this evening at least I have written this blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment